Image description

Family Law and Divorce FAQs

How much alimony will I have to pay if I get divorced?
The goal of alimony is to keep one spouse from becoming impoverished; when you got married, in the eyes of the law, you promised to financially provide for your spouse.  And, although, you have the right to get divorced, you must fulfill that original promise of support to the extent required by law.
The amount of alimony required is decided on a case by case basis and your divorce attorney can provide a specific estimate based upon your individual circumstances.  However, in general, alimony is determined by analyzing any financial support provided by your spouse while you obtained your education or started a business, the length of the marriage, and the income, earning capacity, health and education of both you and your spouse.

Does Nevada recognize same sex marriages or civil unions?
At this time, Nevada does not recognize either same sex marriages or civil unions.  If you are in a same sex partnership (or in a heterosexual unmarried partnership), it is important that you seek legal guidance from both a qualified Nevada family law attorney and a qualified Nevada estate planning attorney.
Unmarried couples are not afforded rights under either Nevada state law or federal law.  To make sure that you and your partner have rights in the event of dissolution, incapacity, or death, you need legal contracts to create those rights automatically afforded to married heterosexual couples. 

If I get divorced will I lose custody of my child?
Often parents share both legal and physical custody in a “joint custody” agreement.  This means that the children spend equal time with both parents. 
In other cases, because of an agreement between parents or if the court deems it to be in the best interests of the child, one parent is granted custody and the other has visitation rights.

If my spouse doesn’t pay the required child support, can I keep him or her from visiting our child?
The right to visitation is not conditional upon the payment of child support.  If you are not receiving mandatory child support payments, consult with a qualified Nevada family law attorney.  Wages and bank accounts can be garnished to better ensure payment.

image description