The Handle|BAR program makes learning about law practice management and your ethical obligations easy. Click on these online learning resources for interactive guided tutorials. Throughout each module, you will apply the knowledge you’ve gained through hypothetical scenarios and related multiple choice quizzes.
You should expect each tutorial to last 30 – 45 minutes. At the end of each module, you may print your quiz score and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim CLE credit.
Attorney Well-Being: It’s more than a state of mind (0.5 AAMH CLE credits)
With the pressures imposed upon lawyers to maintain client expectations and meet court deadlines, the practice of law can be stressful and take a toll on a lawyer’s overall well-being. Added to the mix are the inherent stressors from a lawyer’s practice setting – whether it be a solo, large firm, or public service practice. Maintaining a sense of well-being is an important aspect of a lawyer’s practice and helps us to better serve our clients and ourselves.
In this module you will:
- Learn about attorney well-being and what help is available for attorneys struggling with certain well-being issues;
- Apply what you know to scenarios involving attorneys struggling with certain well-being issues; and
- Reflect on your own well-being and what steps you should take if you or a colleague is in need of assistance.
Client-Lawyer Relationships: Tips to Ethically Connect and Communicate (0.5 Ethics CLE credits)
Building and maintaining client relationships is an important aspect of a lawyer’s practice and there are ethical obligations to consider when establishing, maintaining and terminating a relationship with a client.
In this module, you will learn about the ethics rules that apply, including:
- Obligations to prospective clients;
- Rules for establishing a client-lawyer relationship;
- Maintaining a healthy client-lawyer relationship; and
- Terminating representation.
Client Trust Accounts (0.5 Ethics CLE credits)
Proper handling of your trust account is essential to a thriving practice, protecting client funds and yourself. Good trust account record keeping ensures that you are protecting in trust the amount that belongs to clients and third parties.
In this module, you will learn about:
- Safekeeping of property under Rule 1.15;
- The significance of an IOLTA trust account;
- Proper recordkeeping practices; and
- The importance of trust account reconciliation.
We will also talk about general best practices and provide you resources to help you properly manage your trust account.
Conflicts of Interest – Ensuring Undivided Loyalty (0.5 Ethics CLE credits)
Lawyers have a duty to their clients to provide their best representation. This includes abiding by your ethical obligations as mandated by the Nevada Rules of Professional Conduct. A conflict of interest can subject a lawyer to malpractice claims, disqualification motions, loss or disgorgement of attorney’s fees, or lawyer discipline. So it’s important to be able to identify a conflict and once identified, handle it ethically.
In this module, You will:
- Learn the ethics rules regarding conflicts of interest and how to safeguard yourself from violating these rules;
- Apply the ethics rules to several different scenarios; and
- Reflect on the office procedures you need to have in place to safeguard against conflicts of interest.
In addition, you will be provided resources to help you better understand and avoid conflicts of interest.
Fees, Costs & Billing: Your guide to getting paid ethically (0.5 Ethics CLE credits)
This module addresses the importance of getting paid ethically for all the hard work you perform on behalf of your clients.
In this module, you will:
- Learn the ethics rules and best practices that come into play when establishing and collecting fees and costs;
- Apply the ethics rules and best practices to several different scenarios; and
- Reflect on whether your fee and cost arrangements and time and billing practice comply with your ethical obligations.