Lawyers hear a lot about mentoring, but identifying a mentor when one is brand new to the bar can be a challenge. If you are an experienced attorney interested in sharing your wisdom and guidance with lawyers new to the State Bar of Nevada, Transitioning into Practice is for you!
Transitioning into Practice:
- Matches new admittees to the State Bar of Nevada with experienced Nevada attorney-mentors.
- Assists with law practice management, effective client representation, career development and more.
- Provides guidance for lawyers in all types of practice.
- Requires a small amount of time each month.
Minimum Requirements for Mentors:
- Be a member of the State Bar of Nevada in good standing with no prior disciplinary actions in the past 10 years.
- Have at least seven (7) years of practice experience in the state of Nevada.
- Possess a reputation in the local legal community for competence and ethical and professional conduct.
- Have not had any sanctions, suspensions or disbarments in any state from the practice of law in the past 10 years.
- Carry and provide proof of $500,000 minimum malpractice insurance policy (private practitioners only).
- Sign and adhere to the Mentor Agreement found on our Mentor Resources page.
- Maintain aforementioned qualifications once appointed as a mentor and must prove to be an asset to the TIP program as determined by the Mentor Evaluation process at the conclusion of each program cycle.
- Mentors are expected to participate in all functions of the mentoring program. This includes but is not limited to monthly meetings either at a group function or mentor-mentee function.
- Mentors are appointed in two-year terms in which they are expected to be available to participate in at least one six-month cycle each year.
- The mentor will participate in evaluating the mentoring relationship at the end of the cycle.
- The mentor is responsible for assessing whether the new admittee successfully completed the program.
Apply to Become a TIP Mentor!
If you are interested in serving as a TIP mentor, please complete the form below. The data you provide will help the State Bar of Nevada to best pair you with a newly admitted attorney. All TIP mentor applications will be submitted to the State Bar of Nevada Board of Governors for approval and to the Nevada Supreme Court for formal appointment.
For questions about serving as a TIP mentor, please review the Mentor Resources webpage or email us at email@example.com.
Before You Start
Please be sure to have a copy of your resume or CV. Prior to submitting your application, you will need to upload it to this page.