Five attorneys have applied to the Nevada Commission on Judicial Selection to fill the open judicial seat in the Second Judicial District Court, Dept. 7, created by the death of Judge Patrick Flanagan.
The applicants for the open seat are:
- Craig Denney, 49, Reno, Administrative Law Judge, Social Security Administration
- Carla B. Higginbotham, 44, Reno, Assistant United States Attorney, United States Attorney’s Office, District of Nevada
- Orrin Jeffrey Harris Johnson, 41, Carson City, Deputy District Attorney, Carson City District Attorney
- Gregory R. Shannon, 61, Reno, Family Court Master, Second Judicial District Court
- Egan K. Walker, 55, Reno, Family District Court Judge, Dept. 2, Second Judicial District Court
Nevada attorneys with 10 years of legal experience and two years of Nevada residency were eligible to apply. The Commission will now direct background investigations, accept public comment, and interview each of the applicants.
The applications, with the exceptions of confidential information such as medical records and personal identification information, may be viewed on the Supreme Court website at: http://nvcourts.link/NVJudicialSelection.
Interviews to fill the vacant position are scheduled for Dec. 11 and Dec. 12 at the Nevada Supreme Court in Carson City and will be open to the public.
The Commission invites written public comments about the applicant qualifications. Commission rules allow letters to remain confidential if requested by the letter writer. However, the Commission may discuss the contents of the letter with the applicant during executive session. Anonymous letters may not be considered at the discretion of the Commissioners.
Once the interviews are complete, the Commission will consider and recommend three finalists, whose names will be submitted to Governor Brian Sandoval for the appointment.
Submit written comments regarding the applicants by 5 p.m. on Dec. 8 to:
Secretary, Commission on Judicial Selection
Nevada Supreme Court
201 S. Carson St., Suite 250
Carson City, Nevada, 89701